"Reports that several New Braunfels businesses have been fooled into accepting money used as props in movies is being investigated by the New Braunfels Police Department.
Officials said Tuesday that a number of people in the area have accepted movie money without realizing it is fake.
According to a New Braunfels police news release, the money looks real enough at first glance, but there are several key features in plain sight that reveal the cash is indeed bogus.
Some of those features of the movie money include:
- Asian markings may be seen on the front or back.
- Bills may have the words: "For Motion Picture Purposes Only" or "In Props We Trust."
- Check for bills marked with the word "Replica" in the fine print.
- The bills may appear to be either larger or smaller than real cash.
- Check the feel of the cash. If it doesn't feel right, then it probably isn't.Police advise businesses not to accept the money and to call police immediately.
If the sale has already been completed, call New Braunfels police at (830) 221-4100. Police said there is a chance the person paying with the movie money may also be a victim and may not realize the money is fake.
To learn more about how to spot fake currency, click the link."
Wednesday, August 14, 2019
New Braunfels businesses fooled into taking movie money
By Bryan Kirk of The San Antonio Express-News. Funny story. It has pictures of the fake money.